Thursday, June 2, 2011

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN - INSTALLMENT FIVE

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN – INSTALLMENT FIVE

Why ticker tape and what is ticker tape, anyway?

        Before the advent of the Internet, stock quotes were printed by telegraph machines on continuous paper ribbon known as ticker tape. In 1886, New Yorkers became the first to use the tape as confetti during an impromptu celebration of the dedication of the Statue of Liberty, inventing what would come to be known as a "ticker-tape parade." Since then, ticker-tape parades have been used to greet dignitaries, honor war heroes, and sports teams.


























I would not have been aware of ticker tape, except for seeing old World War II movies when I was in high school.  I used to babysit a lot and late at night I would watch those old movies.  Ticker tape was well-known in my mother’s era, not mine. 

        The second time the Lord used ticker tape to get my attention  was in Hawaii when I saw that fluffy dead bird;  it really did get my attention.  When I saw that bird I was crying and complaining because it was too hot; the bike ride training was too hard; and I just didn’t want to continue.  I felt all alone, even though my son was riding a few yards behind me.  When I saw that dead bird, the vision of ticker tape with verses of Scripture flooded my mind.  The verse from Matthew 10:29-31 reads as follows:  29” Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.[a] 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.” This is what was written on the ticker tape.  It showed me during that difficult time I was having on the bike that day that God loves the birds but he loves me even more and is with me. I saw that bird each day for five days.  The ticker tape only came once, but each day as I passed that bird, I would stop my whining and complaining and say, “Hi dead bird.  Yes, I know God loves me and is with me.” 

 Why did the Lord use ticker tape with me?  To this day, I have absolutely no idea.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE.  SEE YOU BACK ON MONDAY.

1 comment:

  1. I do remember that story, and the ticker-tape reminder of God's care for you.

    Home safe and sound...Keys are in the mail.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. We all need encouragement, me includeded but I love to encourage others as well. We're all on this journey of life together. Let's hold hands and forge ahead.

If you do not have a blog, you can comment by scrolling down to the bottom of the blog, click on "select profile"; then "anonymous". Be sure to sign your name so I know who you are.